Settling In

Salut from la Donga!

I have officially been at site for one month! And as promised I am giving you a quick monthly update. My site has been absolutely amazing so far. I got really lucky with my site placement because I am not only surrounded by an incredibly generous and welcoming community in my village, but I also have a fantastic Volunteer support system super close to my site. My site mate Laura and I make dinners together a few times a week. One night I made ramen with eggs and some soy sauce for us, another night she made fried rice! My close mates Jacquelyn (RCH) and Brandon (TEFL) have met up with Laura and I to go to Parakou and Djougou (nearby cities) as we attempt to furnish our new houses. Our houses are coming along little by little, and I promise to share before and after pictures when I'm all done with mine, though that may not be for a few months.

My work at site for the first few months as an RCH volunteer is to integrate into my community. To do that, I have been going to the Health Center from 9-noon every weekday to observe the health care workers and greet patients in local language as they arrive at the Health Center. One of the first things Peace Corps tells us is that our work is community based and in order to have any success in our projects we have to first integrate into our communities. Integrating is such a broad term and a daunting task. My work right now is making friends, learning local language, and observing norms and health practices in my community. This is unlike anything I have ever done or, in all likelihood, will ever do again. I'm taking everything day by day and so far I have been loving it.

Until next time!

I had my house painted my third day at site by a local painter and a local artist (see picture below)

Our taxi-man Hakim and the six of us packed in a taxi (with our mattresses strapped on top) on our way back from Djougou!

Laura and I after making our first meal at site (spaghetti and garlic bread) ft. the wall the local artist painted in my living room



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A summary: the first five months at site

Tech II Update

6 months in, 21 to go…